Watchman Nee’s hymns are some of the deepest and moving I have ever heard. I wish more believers today enjoyed not just his ministry of the word but also his wealth of hymns.
I recorded this on my iPhone in one sitting without looking at the number of stanzas, so please forgive the fact that I don’t play the whole thing through.
1. Lord, when the Father ne’er was known, / The Father came through Thee below,
That we who lived in ignorance / Might through Thyself the Father know.
2. But, Lord, when Thou wast here on earth, / How scarce were those Thyself who knew;
A veil there was ‘twixt Thee and them; / They crowded ‘round, but saw not through.
3. Now as the Spirit Thou hast come / E:’en as the Father came in Thee;
As we through Thee the Father know, / Now through the Spirit we know Thee.
4. Not with the flesh Thou now art clothed- / Then must Thou walk with toil around;
But as the Spirit in our heart / Thou dost supply Thyself unbound.
5. Thou, Lord, the Father once wast called, / But now the Holy Spirit art;
The Spirit is Thine other form, / Thyself to dwell within our heart.
6. By knowing Thee as Spirit, Lord, / We realize Thy life’s outflow,
Thy glory and Thy character, / And all Thy being’s wonders know.
7. Praise to Thy Name now floods our heart; / There is no one as dear as Thee;
For since we know how real Thou art, / No other one could lovelier be.