At the most basic level, what the gospel offers is a solution to the fundamental problem of human existence- vanity.
As many intellectual objections man may have to the Bible or as much disdain he may harbor for the shortcomings of Christianity throughout history, the basic promises in the gospel should be a beacon of hope to those unmoored in the sea of absurdity.
Hans Kung speaking of Immanuel Kant says:
He rightly refuses to let the contradictions, the antinomies, of pure reason break into the sphere of actual human existence or to let man drown in the unfathomable depths of absurdity.
Below are 23 aspects of what’s eternal about the gospel’s offer.
Having an Eternal God, an Eternal Father, an Eternal King
1) And Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beer-sheba, and there he called on the name of Jehovah, the Eternal God. -Gen. 21:33
2) For a child is born to us, a Son is given to us; and the government is upon His shoulder; and His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. –Isa. 9:6
3) But Jehovah is the true God; He is the living God and the eternal King… -Jer. 10:10
An Eternal Kingdom, an Eternal Dominion, Eternal Tabernacles, an Eternal Rock, Eternal Arms, and an Eternal Way
4) For in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be richly and bountifully supplied to you. -2 Pet. 1:11
5) And to Him was given dominion, glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and languages might serve Him. His dominion is an eternal dominion, which will not pass away; and His kingdom is one that will not be destroyed. -Dan. 7:14
6) And I say to you, Make friends for yourselves by means of the mammon of unrighteousness, so that when it fails, they may receive you into the eternal tabernacles. -Luke 16:9
7) Trust in Jehovah forever and ever, for in Jah Jehovah we have an eternal rock. -Isa. 26:4
8) The God of old is your habitation, and underneath are eternal arms… -Deut. 33:27
9) And see if there is some harmful way in me, and lead me on the eternal way. -Psa. 139:24
An Eternal Covenant, an Eternal Redemption, an Eternal Salvation, and an Eternal Inheritance
10) Now the God of peace, He who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep, in the blood of an eternal covenant. -Heb. 13:20
11) And not through the blood of goats and calves but through His own blood, entered once for all into the Holy of Holies, obtaining an eternal redemption. -Heb. 9:12
12) And having been perfected, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation. -Heb. 5:9
13) And because of this He is the Mediator of a new covenant, so that, death having taken place for redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, those who have been called might receive the promise of the eternal inheritance. -Heb. 9:15
Eternal Life, Eternal Light, Eternal Love, Eternal Lovingkindness, Eternal Joy, Eternal Comfort, Eternal Glory
14) Truly, truly, I say to you, He who believes has eternal life. -John 6:47
15) Your sun will no longer go down, nor will your moon withdraw; for Jehovah will be an eternal light to you, and the days of your mourning will be ended. -Isa. 60:20
16) Jehovah appeared to me from afar, saying, indeed I have loved you with an eternal love, therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness. -Jer. 31:3
17) In a flood of wrath I hid My face from you for a moment, but with eternal lovingkindness I will have mercy on you, says Jehovah your Redeemer. -Isa. 54:8
18) And the ransomed of Jehovah will return and will come to Zion with a ringing shout, and eternal joy will be upon their heads. They will lay hold on gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing will flee away. -Isa. 35:10
19) Now our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope in grace. -2 Thes. 2:16
20) Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the chosen ones, that they themselves also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory. -2 Tim. 2:10
An Eternal Excellency, an Eternal Name, and an Eternal Dwelling
21) Whereas you have been forsaken and hated, so that no one would pass through you, I will make you an eternal excellency, a joy from generation to generation. -Isa. 60:15
22) To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial and a name better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an eternal name which will not be cut off. -Isa. 56:5
23) For we know that if our earthly tabernacle dwelling is taken down, we have a building from God, a dwelling not made with hands, eternal, in the heavens. -2 Cor. 5:1
It’s so good to see all of the multifaceted eternals our eternally rich God has to offer. This truly is the solution to the vanity of this world
Pingback: What does the gospel offer? 23 Eternals « life and building | Gospel Feeds
Vanity versus eternity. Why stay in vanity when there’s those eternal items that we can partake of?
Pingback: What the Gospel Offers | life and building